Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt - East Coast Logistics Series - Round 4
Joanne White posted Sunday October 29, 2017.

Sprintcar racing is a phenomenal sport that almost always puts on a scintillating show for race fans, but the racing at Ausdeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway last night, Saturday 28 October 2017, was something truly special. Qualifying saw several drivers lock in personal best times, heat race action saw three and four car battles for mid-field positions that captivated the crowd, while the main event saw four separate leaders over the thirty-lap journey. Peter Lack led the first stages of the race until young Callum Walker, committed boldly to the high line, and raced spectacularly around the outside of Lack to steal the lead. Walker, who has been in brilliant form already this season and produced a number of very consistent results, had extraordinary speed on the top side and soon opened a lead of over a quarter of a lap on his nearest rivals. Unfortunately a mistake on the exit of turn four when he deviated from the high line saw then second-placed Gee close the gap. Gee took control of the race half a lap later and began to make his way through lapped traffic while Allan Woods, who had started from position ten, displaced both Peter Lack and Callum Walker from their positions and set out after Gee. Woods caught Gee in the closing stages of the race before racing around the outside and into the lead. Allan Woods took a popular and well-deserved win ahead of Mitchell Gee in second, with Callum Walker crossing the line in third to round out the podium. Peter Lack and Ben Hilder completed the top five.

Qualifying got underway and it was clear from the first green that we were in for a big night of Sprintcar racing. Luke Oldfield quickly set the benchmark in the first qualifying run, then lowered his own time, before Andrew Scheuerle lowered the time further on the following lap. Not to be outdone Brent Kratzmann locked in a personal best time only moments after Scheuerle crossed the line, stopping the clock at an impressive 11.312 seconds and securing quick time for the qualifying session. Andrew Scheuerle was second quickest, his 11.340 second lap just 0.028 seconds slower than Kratzmann, while Luke Oldfield, who has been fastest in qualifying in all three previous East Coast Logistics rounds this season, was third quickest overall, his 11.369 second lap just 0.057 seconds slower than Kratzmann. The top nineteen cars all recorded times in the 11-second bracket, with the top 22 cars separated by less than one second. Andrew Liebke and Mark Pholi both suffered mechanical dramas during qualifying which affected their results, while Nelson Reddacliff retired from the competition after discovering an issue on board the Q85 racer at the end of qualifying. Andrew Marks locked a personal best time during his qualifying run, but unfortunately promptly inverted the Q96 racer after hitting a rut in turn two. Marks walked away from the wreck but his night of competition was over.

The first of the Development Series heats hit the track with Peter Campbell to lead them away in the NQ22 racer. Campbell easily led the field once the lights went green, with Kris Jennings settling into a very comfortable second, while behind them Aleesha Woods and Jason King negotiated over third. Woods did a great job maintaining her position and while King seemed to have plenty of speed he was unable to find a way past. Further back in the field Liam Atkinson found his way underneath Andrew Baumber and started chasing down Woods and King as the leaders started navigating lapped traffic. King spun the #69 racer in turn one and brought the race under caution. Campbell and Jennings led the restart from Woods and Atkinson with the leading trio immediately pulling away from their rivals. Peter Campbell went on to take the win ahead of Kris Jennings and Aleesha Woods with Liam Atkinson home in fourth. Jason King managed to make his way back to fifth by the fall of chequered flag, leading Andrew Baumber and Libby Ellis across the line. Ashley Morgan and David Kenway did not start the event.

When the Sprintcars hit the track for their first heat it was Peter Lack who inherited pole position in the absence of Andrew Marks, who did not start the heat after his crash in qualifying, and Steve Greer, who had slowed to a stop before taking the green. Greer started at the rear of the field with Lack, who was originally scheduled to start from position five, now from pole position. Dan Murray was supposed to share the front row for the start, but had mechanical problems on board the Q44 racer and elected to start at the rear of the field. Brad Ayers moved forward to share the front row with Lack for the start. Lack got the jump when the lights went green and quickly secured the lead, with Mick Sauer swiftly following him on the bottom to secure second. Mitchell Gee raced underneath Ayers as they rounded turns one and two, and while Ayers tried to fight back, Gee was too quick. Gee turned his attention to Sauer while Brent Kratzmann found a way underneath Ayers. Brett Minett battled with Ayers as they fought over minor positions, while Mark Pholi tried to climb his way forward from the back of the field in an effort to start making up for the problems he had in qualifying. Meanwhile closer to the front of the field both Gee and Kratzmann had managed to catch, and pass Sauer, relegating him back to fourth, but there was no stopping Peter Lack out in front. Lack weaved his way seemingly effortlessly through lapped traffic before taking the win in advance of Mitchell Gee and Brent Kratzmann. Mick Sauer was fourth home and led Brett Minett, Brad Ayers, Mark Pholi, Steve Greer, Dan Murray and Bryan Zelinski across the line.

Heat two started with Allan Woods and Andrew Corbet sharing the front row, with Woods getting the jump when the lights turned green. Brock Dean, who started from position three, was quick to follow Woods, immediately displacing Corbet and settling into second. Ben Hilder and Luke Oldfield made progress on the bottom as they rounded turn two, while Callum Walker and Andrew Scheuerle began looking for a way forward. Karl Hoffmans spun the Q3 racer in turn three and brought the race under caution while Corbet and Walker had a moment in turn one that left Walker stranded on the track. Woods led the restart from Dean and Corbet but Corbet immediately came under pressure from Ben Hilder, who himself had both Luke Oldfield and Andrew Scheuerle on his tail. Hilder and Oldfield made their way underneath Corbet, with Scheuerle going around the top-side half a lap later, with Oldfield then making his move on Hilder. Scheuerle spent a number of laps looking for a way past Hilder, searching high and low before eventually getting the job done. Dean started to close in on Woods in lapped traffic, with Oldfield quickly joining the pair in the battle for the lead. When Woods got momentarily caught behind a lapped car Dean didn’t hesitate and quickly raced underneath Woods to steal the lead with just one lap left to run. Brock Dean claimed the win ahead of Allan Woods and Luke Oldfield, with Andrew Scheuerle home in fourth. Ben Hilder was fifth across the line ahead of Andrew Corbet, Brodie Tulloch, Callum Walker, Mitch Gowland, Kristy Bonsey and Karl Hoffmans. Andrew Liebke did not finish the event.

The second development series heat for the night started with David Kenway and Kris Jennings from the front row. Kenway got a great start but Jennings was too quick on the top-side and quickly raced into the lead while Kenway settled for second. Peter Campbell made his way past Kenway, racing around the outside as they completed the first lap, before turning his attention to Jennings and the race lead. Campbell wasted no time in catching Jennings and raced through on the bottom to take control of the race, while further back in the field Jason King searched for a way past Kenway, before leaving Kenway to defend his position from Aleesha Woods. Peter Campbell went on to take the win ahead of Kris Jennings, Jason King and Aleesha Woods. Libby Ellis, who is already showing signs of improvement, rounded out the finishers. David Kenway and Andrew Baumber did not finish the event.

Brett Minett and Andrew Corbet shared the front row for the start of the third Sprintcar heat, and while Minett initially secured the lead officials brought the race under caution and deemed him to have jumped the start. Minett was relegated to the second row for the restart, elevating Steve Greer to pole position, and from there Greer was quick to take control of the race. Minett battled with Corbet as they raced side-by-side and fought over second and third, while behind them Mick Sauer took to the high line and tried to make his way past Callum Walker and Mitchell Gee, with Brent Kratzmann right on his tail. As Sauer tried to race around the high side of Walker, Gee committed to the bottom, racing underneath the pair as they rounded turn one. Walker of course fought back and came out in front by the time they exited turn two, leaving Gee, Sauer and Kratzmann to battle amongst themselves. Walker started looking for a way past Corbet, while Kratzmann moved ahead of Sauer and Gee got the better of Walker just moments before the race was brought under caution for Steve Greer who had stopped in turn four. Hilder led the restart from Corbet and Walker but when the race resumed Walker found himself immediately under pressure from a hard charging Gee who had taken to the high line in spectacular fashion as he tried to find a way past Walker. Walker again fought back and soon managed to move ahead of Corbet and create a small margin over Gee. Whilst Gee was looking for a way underneath Corbet, Kratzmann had a massive look on the inside of Gee, the pair racing wheel-to-wheel as they sped underneath Corbet entering turn one. It was truly breath-taking to watch, with Kratzmann winning the battle as they exited turn two, only to find Corbet fighting back valiantly on the bottom, with Sauer on his tail. Kratzmann boldly raced the top side of Corbet, narrowly beating him to turn three, while Sauer raced underneath Gee, right on the tail of Corbet, as the quartet navigated turns three and four. Corbet raced up the inside of Kratzmann as they powered down the main straight, with Sauer then getting underneath Kratzmann half a lap later. Kratzmann fought back as they raced down the main straight, and the contact between the pair as they approached turn one could have so easily ended in disaster for both drivers. Sauer ended up securing the advantage, with Gee then throwing the Q36 Titan Garages racer back in the fight and racing beautifully underneath Kratzmann as they rounded turn four. Ben Hilder was untroubled in his race to the chequered flag, easily taking the win and oblivious to the battle raging behind him. Callum Walker crossed the line in second while Andrew Corbet managed to come home a very impressive third. Mick Sauer was fourth past the chequered flag and led Mitchell Gee, Brent Kratzmann, Brodie Tulloch, Andrew Liebke, Steve Greer and Kristy Bonsey across the line. Brett Minett did not finish the event.

Heat four hit the track with Dan Murray and Karl Hoffmans from the front row and a field determined to put on a show every bit as exciting as their rivals did in heat three. Murray quickly secured the lead when the green flag flew, while Luke Oldfield, from back in seventh, immediately raced up the inside of Brock Dean and Peter Lack in an effort to make his way to the front. Lack however was magnificent on the top-side, and, with Andrew Scheuerle in hot pursuit, Lack raced around Oldfield, Brad Ayers and Allan Woods in just half a lap. Scheuerle was trying to run the top as well, only for Oldfield to switch to the high line as he searched for a way past Ayers. As Oldfield found a way past Ayers, Scheuerle made his way around Dean, and both Lack and Woods displaced Hoffmans from his position. Scheuerle got the better of Dean and set his attention on Oldfield, the pair holding nothing back as they negotiated over track position. The race was brought under caution just three laps in for the spun car of Bryan Zelinski, with Dan Murray to lead the restart from Peter Lack and Allan Woods. Murray got a brilliant start while Lack was immediately forced on the defensive as a hard charging Woods began attempting to steal second. Woods was relentless and soon managed to race underneath the Q5 racer, while behind them Scheuerle got the better of Oldfield and began challenging both Lack and Woods for the minor places. Scheuerle was all over the back of Lack and spent several laps searching for a way through, while Oldfield remained close before diving underneath Scheuerle as they rounded turn four. Dan Murray got the win ahead of Allan Woods and Peter Lack, with Luke Oldfield, Andrew Scheuerle, Brock Dean, Karl Hoffmans, Brad Ayers, Mark Pholi and Mitch Gowland rounding out the finishers. Bryan Zelinski did not finish the event.

The development series feature race, also known as the C-Main, started with Peter Campbell and Kris Jennings from the front row. Campbell easily secured the lead when the green flag flew, with Jennings settling into a comfortable second in advance of Aleesha Woods. Jason King settled into fourth and started chasing down Woods, only briefly challenged by David Kenway, while Woods challenged Jennings for a couple of laps. Jennings soon pulled away and left Woods to defend her position from King, the pair having a close battle for much of the race. A yellow light caution for the spun car of Kenway in turn four bunched the field back up and while Woods and King resumed their battle for the minor places. A series of yellow light stoppages, for the spun cars of Kenway and Liam Atkinson, saw the race declared with one lap left to run. Peter Campbell got the win with Kris Jennings home in second and Aleesha Woods across the line in third, the result identical to that of the first round a few weeks ago. Jason King finished fourth and led Andrew Baumber and Libby Ellis across the line. Liam Atkinson and David Kenway did not finish the event.

Brent Kratzmann led the points chase heading in to the Dash but a pre-dash marble draw saw him start the six lap event back in sixth. Luke Oldfield and Andrew Scheuerle, who were second and third on points respectively, had equally unfortunate luck in the pre-dash draw and would start the event from positions seven and eight. Peter Lack started the Dash from pole position, with young Callum Walker perhaps the biggest winner of the pre-dash draw after being elevated to the outside of the front row after qualifying eighth. Lack and Walker led the field to the green with Lack quickly taking command of the race. Walker settled into second while Mitchell Gee and Ben Hilder argued over third and fourth. Oldfield started making his way towards the front while Scheuerle got the better of Kratzmann when Kratzmann ran wide in turn four. Walker withstood a strong challenge from Gee, while Oldfield closed in and soon relegated Gee back to fourth before turning his attention to Walker. Peter Lack took the win, earning pole position for the main race, while Callum Walker crossed the line in second and led Luke Oldfield, Mitchell Gee, Ben Hilder, Mick Sauer, Andrew Scheuerle and Brent Kratzmann across the line.

Ten cars, including three from the development series, rolled onto the track for the twelve lap B-main event. Steve Greer and Brodie Tulloch led the field to the green and while Tulloch got a brilliant start on the top side and initially secured the lead, Greer remained determined on the bottom and raced under Tulloch and into the lead as they rounded turn two. Tulloch was forced to settle for second but had Mitch Gowland and Andrew Liebke right on his tail. Mark Pholi began making his way forward from the rear of the field, having a brilliant battle with Brett Minett for several laps on his way. Minett took the high side and began searching for a way past Liebke, whist holding Pholi at bay, while Liebke focussed on finding a way past Gowland. Liebke, who had finally overcome the mechanical problems that had plagued him all night, saw an opportunity on the bottom and quickly raced up the inside of Gowland as they headed towards turn one, making his way into third and leaving Gowland to defend his position from a very hard-charging Minett. Minett took to the high line and seemed to find a little extra momentum in the Q94 racer as he raced past the Q32 of Gowland before having a brief look on the outside of Liebke. Liebke however had caught Tulloch in second and before long raced up the inside of Tulloch, lifting the front wheels in the air as he made the pass, as they completed another lap. Tulloch tried to fight back but soon had to defend his position from Minett and Gowland, while Greer had a moment in turn two that opened the door for Liebke to take control of the race. Tulloch too managed to displace Greer, relegating him back to third, while Gowland and Minett fought over the final transfer position. Greer looped the Q84 racer in turn two, and while he managed to keep the car moving, several cars were forced to take evasive action. Jason King ended up stranded in turn two and brought the race under caution. Liebke led the restart from Tulloch, Greer and Gowland, with Minett sitting in fifth. Tulloch challenged Liebke for the lead, taking to the high line and trying to gain any advantage over Liebke, while Minett challenged Gowland on the high side as they fought over the final transfer to the A-Main. Andrew Liebke went on to take the win ahead of Brodie Tulloch and Steve Greer, with Mitch Gowland securing fourth and earning a transfer to the feature event. Mark Pholi finished fifth and led Peter Campbell, Bryan Zelinski, Brett Minett (who had looped the Q94 racer a few laps from home), Kris Jennings and Jason King across the line.

Eighteen cars lined up for the A-Main event, with Peter Lack and Callum Walker to lead them away. The leading pair raced side-by-side into the first corner but it was Lack who took control of the race and settled into the race lead. Walker settled into second, defending his position form hard-chargers Luke Oldfield and Mitchell Gee. Deeper in the field Andrew Scheuerle, Brent Kratzmann and Allan Woods all began trying to make their way forward, with Scheuerle getting the better of Mick Sauer and leaving Sauer with Brock Dean, Woods and Kratzmann on his tail. Kratzmann committed to the bottom and raced underneath Dean and Woods, and was attempting to run under Sauer as they entered turn one ended with Sauer inverting the Q69 racer. Sauer walked away from the crash unscathed but his race was over. Officials deemed Kratzmann to be responsible and he was relegated to the rear of the field for the restart.

Peter Lack led the restart from Luke Oldfield and Callum Walker, with Mitchell Gee and Ben Hilder next in line. When the lights went green Lack and Oldfield kept low on the track while Walker committed boldly to the high line, finding remarkable speed, and a breath-taking determination and focus, as he raced spectacularly around the outside of both Oldfield and Lack to steal the lead. It took Walker just a lap and a half to secure control of the race, and once in front he set about opening a sizable lead. Mitchell Gee challenged Luke Oldfield for third, with Oldfield then putting all kinds of pressure on Lack as they raced for second. Unfortunately for Oldfield an uncharacteristic spin in turn two, which brought the race under caution, would see him relegated to the rear of the field with twenty-four laps left to run.

Callum Walker led the restart from Peter Lack and Mitchell Gee with Ben Hilder and Andrew Scheuerle completing the top five. Within just half a lap Walker had opened an impressive lead, which he continued to extend as the laps wore on. Gee was all over the back of Lack, while Hilder began challenging Gee for position as well. Andrew Scheuerle came under pressure from Brock Dean and Allan Woods, with Dean getting under the Q25 racer as they rounded turn four, and Woods going around the outside a lap later. Woods was on a mission and, after getting past Scheuerle, quickly made his way past Dean and immediately began challenging Hilder for position. Closer to the front Mitchell Gee eventually found a way underneath Peter Lack, securing second and setting about trying to close the gap to Walker. Lack of course fought back and ran the top beautifully but Gee was so quick on the bottom there was little Lack could do. Andrew Scheuerle was embroiled in a tense battle with Brad Ayers, while Luke Oldfield and Brent Kratzmann were having their own battle deep in the field as they both tried to make their way forward. Walker, having deviated from the high line he ran so well, made a small mistake in turn four, his lead, which at this point was about a third of a lap, quickly evaporating as Mitchell Gee closed in. Within half a lap Gee had raced underneath Walker and taken control of the race, the young guns proving that they are most definitely championship contenders and can, and will, have a significant impact on the championship this year. The race was only halfway done and Gee was the third driver to lead the event, and while Walker fought back hard all eyes were now on Allan Woods a little further back. Woods had started the event from position ten and now, with just fifteen laps compete, was challenging Peter Lack for third. Lack ran a brilliant race on the bottom but Woods was northing short of magnificent as he raced around the outside of Lack before spending a number of laps chasing down Walker. Woods caught Walker in lapped traffic and made it look easy as he weaved his way between Walker and a lapped car, relegating Walker back to third before setting out after Gee. Gee had built a sizable margin over his rivals but Woods was focused and fast as he systematically worked on closing the gap. It took a number of laps but once Woods closed the gap he immediately began working the top side as he tried to take the lead from Gee. Gee raced hard on the bottom, the pair racing side-by-side for a number of laps before Woods, to the absolute delight of the crowd, edged his way in front just a few laps from home. Allan Woods got a well deserved and extremely popular win with Mitchell Gee and Callum Walker filling the final podium positions. Peter Lack finished a solid fourth, with Ben Hilder crossing the line in fifth. Luke Oldfield managed to climb his way into sixth after the earlier spin, with Brad Ayers, Brock Dean, Andrew Scheuerle and Dan Murray rounding out the top ten. Andrew Liebke, Mitch Gowland, Brodie Tulloch, Andrew Corbet and Steve Greer rounded out the finishers. Brent Kratzmann pulled out of the event after just fourteen laps with a flat right rear tyre, while Karl Hoffmans and Mick Sauer both also failed to finish the event.

Massive congratulations to Allan Woods and the entire Woods Motorsport team on their win last night from all of us at Sprintcars Queensland. Sprintcars Queensland will have next weekend off before returning to Ausdeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway the following weekend, on Saturday 11 November 2017, for another exciting night of Sprintcar racing. Each of the fourth feature events we have had so far this season has been nothing short of sensational and we cannot wait to get back trackside and see what these guys can show us next time. It is going to be massive so you will not want to miss a moment of the action. We hope to see you there!


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
15/12 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
26/12 Archerfield Speedway
29/12 Archerfield Speedway
1/1 Archerfield Speedway
4/1 Archerfield Speedway
5/1 Archerfield Speedway
9/1 Archerfield Speedway
23/1 Archerfield Speedway
26/1 Archerfield Speedway
27/1 Archerfield Speedway
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis