Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt - East Coast Logistics Series - Round 11
Joanne White posted Sunday March 4, 2018.

Last night twenty-seven open Sprintcars, plus eight contenders in the Development Series, headed to Ausdeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway for another round of the East Coast Logistics Sprintcar series. With series leader Luke Oldfield unable to attend the event, rescheduled to last night after last weekend was abandoned due to rain, the rest of the field were keen to try and close the points margin, with each driver determined to secure as many points as possible to maximise the opportunity to change the course of the Championship chase. With double points on the line, determined by a random pill draw at drivers briefing, it became even more important for the championship contenders to bag as many points as they could. Andrew Scheuerle capitalised on the double points on offer, making it look easy as he led every lap of the main event to secure the win. Mitchell Gee ran a very solid second for most of the race, edging closer to Scheuerle in lapped traffic while defending his position from Jayden Peacock. Peacock was phenomenal, relentlessly chasing after Gee and biding his time before finally pulling off a bold but perfectly timed charge on the final lap. Peacock dove underneath Gee in the final corner, stealing second and leaving Gee to settle for third. Brent Kratzmann ran a comfortable fourth for most of the race, but a last corner charge from Allan Woods almost spelt disaster for the pair as they crossed the line. Kratzmann secured fourth with Woods officially home in fifth, just 0.012 seconds between them.

Bryan Mann topped the qualifying order once all cars had hit the track, stopping the clock at a quick 11.545 seconds, only four hundredths of a second quicker than Peter Lack. Lack locked in an 11.858 second lap, enough to see him second overall in qualifying, while Andrew Scheuerle, third quickest, beat Mitchell Gee, fourth overall, by just four thousandths of a second. Ben Hilder completed the fastest five, while slightly further back in the qualifying order Allan Woods beat Jayden Peacock by only 0.002 seconds, while Nelson Reddacliff beat Dan Murray by the same small margin. Brent Kratzmann beat Darren Jensen by only five thousandths of a second, while the quickest twenty-two cars were separated by less than one second. Unfortunately for Mark Pholi his qualifying run came to a very premature end when he came together with the turn two wall before completing a lap. While Pholi would miss the first round of heats, he did make it back trackside later in the evening.

Our first race of the night saw the Development Series hit the track with Andrew Baumber and Brendon Claridge sharing the front row for the start. Baumber quickly secured the lead when the lights went green, with David Kenway, from position three, quickly making his way into second. Kris Jennings, Peter Campbell and Tim Ford all followed Kenway on the low side, while Claridge suffered mechanical issues in the Q31 racer and slowed to a stop in turn two, bringing the race under caution with only one lap completed. Baumber led the restart from Kenway and Jennings and while Kenway had a big look on the inside of Baumber half a lap into the restart, he could not quite find a way through and ran a little too wide, opening the door for both Jennings and Campbell to slip through. Jason King searched for a way past Tim Ford, eventually getting the job done on the high side through turn two and turning his attention to Kenway. King soon got the better of Kenway and set about trying to close the gap to Campbell, while at the front of the field Jennings was all over the back of Baumber, searching high and low for a way into the race lead. Jennings was relentless but ran out of laps, Andrew Baumber taking the win ahead of Kris Jennings and Peter Campbell. Jason King finished fourth and led Shane Matthews and Tim Ford across the line. David Kenway and Brendon Claridge both suffered mechanical dramas and failed to finish the event.

Heat one of the open Sprintcars started with Mitch Gowland from pole position and Dan Murray sharing the front row in advance of Nelson Reddacliff and Mick Sauer. Gowland got the jump when the green flag flew, leading the field into turn one before Murray powered around the outside and into the race lead. Reddacliff followed Murray on the top side, making his way around Gowland as they navigated the third corner of the race, and set his sights on Murray, while deeper in the field Bryan Mann searched for a way past Allan Woods. Reddacliff took to the high side and challenged Murray for the lead, the pair coming together as they raced down the back straight and sending Reddacliff hard into the wall. While Reddacliff was unscathed in the crash there was enough damage to his Q85 racer to prematurely end his night of racing. Murray was also unable to restart the race but would return to the track for the second round of heats. Gowland inherited the lead with both Murray and Reddacliff out of contention, with Sauer in second ahead of Woods and Mann. Sauer immediately started challenging Gowland for the lead, and while it took several laps, managed to slip through on the inside a few laps into the restart to take control of the race. Sauer set about opening a very comfortable margin over his rivals, while Woods and Mann also slipped underneath Gowland in quick succession. Kevin Titman made his way underneath Gowland, leaving Gowland to try and defend his position from Cody Maroske, while Mann focused his efforts on finding a way past Woods. Mick Sauer got the win ahead of Allan Woods, with Bryan Mann settling for third. Kevin Titman came home in fourth and led Cody Maroske, Mitch Gowland and Karl Hoffmans across the line. Dan Murray and Nelson Reddacliff did not finish the event.

Brad Ayers and Andrew Marks shared the front row for the start of heat two, with Stewart Craig and Dave Whell right behind them. While Ayers and Marks both got a great start, it was Marks on the high side who led the field through turn one, with Craig slipping underneath Ayers as they rounded the first corner. Unfortunately for Craig he then promptly ran too wide in turn two, allowing Ayers, Whell and Jayden Peacock through. Marks quickly opened a sizable lead while the rest of the field argued over the minor places, with Dave Whell soon making his way underneath Brad Ayers to steal second and set out after Marks. Peacock quickly followed Whell under Ayers and spent the next few laps chasing after Whell before racing beautifully underneath Whell and into second. Peacock was exceptionally quick and while Marks had opened a margin of about a quarter of a lap, Peacock spent just a handful of laps closing the gap. Peacock was persistent, searching high and low as he tried to find a way into the lead, but Andrew Marks did a brilliant job defending his position and went on to take a confidence-boosting win. Jayden Peacock finished second ahead of Dave Whell and Stewart Craig, while Ben Hilder and Darren Jensen rounded out the finishers after a thrilling battle at the back of the field. Brad Ayers and Peter Lack both suffered disappointing mechanical problems and failed to finish the event.

Kristy Bonsey and Scott Genrich shared the front row for the start of the third heat, with Bonsey getting a brilliant start in the Q42 racer. Bonsey quickly settled into the race lead ahead of Genrich and Andrew Corbet, while Brent Kratzmann raced underneath Brodie Tulloch, and Andrew Scheuerle searched for a way around Mitchell Gee. Gee quickly made his way around Tulloch just a couple of laps into the race and set out after Kratzmann, while Scheuerle got caught behind Tulloch and surrendered a position to Anthony Lambert. Scheuerle chased Lambert for a couple of laps before racing through on the bottom, while Gee was unrelenting in his pursuit of Kratzmann. Kristy Bonsey was absolutely unstoppable out in front, opening a very sizable margin over her rivals, making her way past the back markers, and turning the fastest lap of the first three open Sprintcar heats as she made her way to the chequered flag. It was a faultless race for Bonsey and a well deserved win, with Scott Genrich coming home in a very solid second ahead of Andrew Corbet and Brent Kratzmann. Mitchell Gee finished fifth while Andrew Scheuerle eventually got the better of Brodie Tulloch to cross the line in sixth, leading Tulloch, Anthony Lambert and Randy Morgan across the line.

The second Development Series heat saw Shane Matthews share the front row with Tim Ford, with hard-chargers Peter Campbell and Kris Jennings close behind. Matthews managed to get his nose in front on the start but Ford was quick on the top-side and quickly secured the lead. Jennings took to the high line and made it look easy as he powered around the outside of Campbell as they rounded turn two, before making his move around Matthews in turn three to steal second with less than a lap completed. David Kenway tried to find a way past Jason King, but King was preoccupied attempting to find his way past Campbell. King was determined and right on the tail of Campbell, while Campbell closed in on Matthews but the race was soon brought under caution as Kenway spun to a stop in turn four. Ford led the restart from Jennings and Matthews, with Jennings immediately putting all kinds of pressure on Ford for control of the race. Jennings clearly had incredible speed in the Q81 racer, but spent several laps searching high and low, trying to find a way past Ford, eventually getting the job done on the high-side as they raced down the back straight a few laps from home. King and Campbell also resumed their battle with King unrelenting as he kept the pressure on the NQ22 racer. Campbell ran a fraction wide in turn two while attempting to get around Matthews, giving King the only invitation he needed to race through on the bottom and set his sights on Matthews, racing up the inside of the NQ32 racer as they greeted the chequered flag side-by-side. Kris Jennings got the win, nearly four seconds ahead of his nearest rival, with Tim Ford home in second and Jason King snaring third by just 0.018 seconds. Shane Matthews was left to settle for fourth and led Peter Campbell, Andrew Baumber and David Kenway across the line.

Heat four was supposed to see Brad Ayers start from pole position, but, despite Ayers and his crew working feverishly to fix the mechanical problems that prematurely ended his first heat, he did not make it trackside in time to take the green. Stewart Craig was elevated to pole position for the start, with Scott Genrich alongside but it was Craig who managed to secure the lead when the lights went green. Unfortunately for Craig he ran too wide in turn two, allowing Genrich to steal the lead, while Craig faded as Darren Jensen, Cody Maroske, Ben Hilder and Kevin Titman came through in quick succession. Maroske raced around the outside of Jensen and set his sights on Genrich and while Jensen gave chase he was also forced to defend his position from a hard-charging Hilder. Maroske wasted no time relieving Genrich of control of the race and immediately started opening a sizable margin on his rivals, while Hilder got the better of Jensen and started looking for way past Genrich. Hilder was in magnificent form as he raced seemingly effortlessly underneath Genrich as they rounded turn four and immediately started trying to close the gap to Maroske, while Kevin Titman made his way in front of Darren Jensen and started challenging Genrich for the minor places. Cody Maroske got the win ahead of Ben Hilder and Kevin Titman, with Scott Genrich across the line in fourth and leading Darren Jensen, Bryan Mann, Stewart Craig and Mark Pholi home.

Dan Murray and Brodie Tulloch shared the front row for the start of heat five, with Murray quickly securing the race lead as they headed towards turn one. Tulloch tried to charge around the outside through turn two but could not quite get the job done, while behind them Mick Sauer raced around Dave Whell and set his sights on Kristy Bonsey in third. Allan Woods was sensational on the top-side, racing around Whell just as Anthony Lambert raced underneath the pair. Whell fought back and managed to regain his position from Woods, but when the pair almost came together in turn two they opened the door for Jayden Peacock to slip through on the bottom. Tulloch was all over the back of Murray, while Bonsey was fiercely defending her position from Sauer but when Tulloch made a small error in turn two Bonsey did not hesitate and swiftly raced through underneath the Q43 racer and into second. Sauer preferred the high line and made short work of relegating Tulloch to fourth, leaving him to defend his position from Peacock, who was making impressive progress from the rear of the field. Sauer held nothing back as he searched for a way underneath Bonsey, but Bonsey refused to surrender, hanging on to second and closing in Murray and race lead as they raced closer to the chequered flag. Dan Murray got the win ahead of Kristy Bonsey and Mick Sauer, with Jayden Peacock home in fourth ahead of Brodie Tulloch, Dave Whell, Allan Woods and Randy Morgan. Anthony Lambert did not finish the event.

The final heat of the night saw Karl Hoffmans start from pole position with Mitch Gowland alongside and a tough field of hard-chargers coming from the rear of the field. Hoffmans momentarily held the lead when the lights went green but Gowland was quick on the top-side and took control of the race as they rounded turn one. Brent Kratzmann had a truly brilliant run from position six, racing around Peter Lack and Andrew Marks before racing seemingly effortlessly underneath Andrew Corbet and setting out after Hoffmans. Marks made his way underneath Corbet, with Peter Lack and Mitchell Gee quick to follow on the low side, with Gee underneath Lack as they exited turn two. Andrew Scheuerle got caught up behind Corbet, who had drifted to the wall, with Scheuerle getting past the Q78 racer half a lap later. Scheuerle quickly caught Gee and, after just a couple of laps, managed to race through on the inside, Gee fighting him every inch of the way, with Scheuerle then turning his attention to catching Lack. Lack made his way underneath Marks only for Marks to race back through half a lap later and, briefly, regain his position. With Scheuerle closing in fast Lack committed to the high line, patiently working the top side and eventually making his way back past Marks. Scheuerle, with Gee now right on his tail, raced underneath Marks a lap later, leaving Marks to defend his position from Gee, while Kratzmann made his way in front of Hoffmans and turned his attention to Gowland. Scheuerle was all over the back of Lack, while at the front of the field Gowland and Kratzmann raced side-by-side as they passed the white flag. With Kratzmann on the high side Gowland reluctantly surrendered the lead, with Brent Kratzmann going on to take the win ahead of Mitch Gowland and Karl Hoffmans. Peter Lack crossed the line in fourth and led Andrew Scheuerle, Mitchell Gee, Andrew Corbet and Andrew Marks across the line.

The Development Series feature event, also known as the Sprintcar C-Main, saw Kris Jennings and Andrew Baumber share the front row for the start, with Jason King and Tim Ford from the second row. Officials deemed Jennings to have jumped the first start and brought the race under caution to relegate the Q81 racer to the second row for the restart, thus elevating King to pole position. King got a brilliant start, easily securing the lead while Jennings quickly raced up the inside of Baumber to secure second. Baumber challenged Jennings on the high side, while Peter Campbell searched for a way through on the bottom. At the front of the field King found himself under enormous pressure from Jennings, with Jennings eventually securing the lead after successfully making is way around King in turn four. Unfortunately for Jennings he looped the Q81 racer to a stop just one lap later and was relegated to the rear of the field for the restart, King made the most of the opportunity to once again lead the field, and, despite near constant pressure from Peter Campbell, King remained in control of the race, taking the win, his first in Sprintcars, when the race was declared with one lap to run. Peter Campbell crossed the line in second ahead of Tim Ford, Kris Jennings and Andrew Baumber. Shane Matthews and David Kenway both failed to finish the event.

Bryan Mann entered the top eight Dash event as highest points scorer for the night, but an unlucky random marble draw prior to the Dash saw Mann start the six-lap event from position seven. Jayden Peacock and Ben Hilder shared the front row for the start, with Peacock quickly securing the lead and Hilder briefly holding down second. Hilder ran a little too wide in turn two, allowing Andrew Scheuerle and Mitchell Gee to race underneath the Q95 car, leaving Hilder to defend his position from a hard-charging Brent Kratzmann. At the rear of the field the battle between Allan Woods, Bryan Mann and Kevin Titman was fierce while at the front it was clear that Scheuerle was not going to let anything stand in his way of a win. Scheuerle was unstoppable as he raced past Peacock and into the lead just a lap before the chequered flag flew. Andrew Scheuerle got the win to earn pole position for the main race, with Jayden Peacock crossing the line in second ahead of Mitchell Gee, Brent Kratzmann, Ben Hilder, Bryan Mann, Allan Woods and Kevin Titman.

Fourteen cars took to the track for the fifteen-lap B-Main, including three transfers from the C-Main. Scott Genrich and Andrew Corbet led the field to the green ahead of Brodie Tulloch and Andrew Marks. Genrich secured the lead when the lights went green, with Corbet easily settling into second ahead of Tulloch and Stewart Craig, until Marks raced around the top-side of Craig and started challenging Tulloch for third. Marks secured third by the end of the first lap, leaving Tulloch and Craig to fight over the final transfer position while deeper in the field Dan Murray and Randy Morgan fought over mid-field positions. Mitch Gowland started closing in on Craig, who had dropped a car length or two behind Tulloch, while Tulloch focused on finding a way past Marks. Murray pulled ahead of Morgan and began looking for a way underneath Gowland, while Karl Hoffmans and Brad Ayers battled at the back of the field and Mark Pholi tried to make his way forward. Genrich and Corbet were way out in front, and just starting to catch the back markers, while Tulloch stepped up the pressure on Marks, searching high and low for a way past before eventually getting the job done on the high side and stealing third from Marks. Marks tried to fight back valiantly on the bottom but could not quite regain his position and was soon forced on the defensive as Craig took to the high line and raced around the outside and into fourth, bumping Marks from a transfer position. Marks however was not prepared to surrender without a fight and, with only a few laps left to run, started challenging Craig in an effort to regain fourth. A bold look on the inside of Craig as they rounded the final corner saw the pair race side-by-side across the line, on the inside of a lapped car, with Craig beating Marks to the line by a tiny 0.044 seconds. Scott Genrich got the win in the B-Main, with Andrew Corbet home in second ahead of Brodie Tulloch and Stewart Craig, all four earning their place at the back of the A-Main field. Andrew Marks finished fifth and would use his East Coast Logistics Series Provisional to start the A-Main from position nineteen. Dan Murray crossed the line sixth in the B-Main and led Mitch Gowland, Randy Morgan, Mark Pholi, Karl Hoffmans, Brad Ayers, Kris Jennings, Jason King and Peter Campbell across the line.

Andrew Scheuerle led the field to the green for the start of the 30-lap A-Main event, with Jayden Peacock alongside and Mitchell Gee and Brent Kratzmann from the second row. Scheuerle got the jump on the start and while Peacock initially challenged him for control of the race, Scheuerle was focused and determined to maintain control of the race. There was no stopping Scheuerle as he secured the lead and started to slowly open a margin over his rivals, leaving Peacock with Gee on his tail while Kratzmann held down fourth, holding Ben Hilder at bay while Kevin Titman, Bryan Mann and Allan Woods argued over the mid-field positions, resuming their battle from the Dash. Stewart Craig made up several positions and spent several laps battling with Darren Jensen, while Mitchell Gee made his way into second, finding his way past Peacock and chasing after Scheuerle. Just six laps in Scheuerle began navigating lapped traffic, with Gee, Peacock, Kratzmann and Mann all closing in as they entered heavier traffic. Woods, Titman and Peter Lack battled mid-field while Darren Jensen lost several positions when he looped the Q75 racer but managed to keep the car moving and avoid a stoppage. Stewart Craig had a near-miss with the wall in turns three and four, while Lack gave everything he had as he searched the inside of Titman for a way forward. Scheuerle was flying out in front, he had the car set up beautifully and was not letting anything or anyone slow him down. Still with a comfortable lead over Gee in second, Scheuerle started lapping some of the back markers for the second time in a race that was starting to look as if it may go from green to chequer without a stop. With only seven laps left to run Lack looped the Q5 racer in turn four, and while he was able to keep the car running, the officials were exceptionally quick to bring the race under caution. Lack, who has had unusual run of misfortune lately, was relegated to the rear of the field for the restart.

Andrew Scheuerle led the restart from Mitchell Gee, Jayden Peacock and Brent Kratzmann, with Peter Lack immediately taking to the high line and starting to try to make up lost ground. Kratzmann found himself under immense pressure from Allan Woods, who had made his way past Bryan Mann, while Kevin Titman was all over the back of Bryan Mann and searching for a way through. With just two laps left on the board Stewart Craig brought the race to a stop in turns three and four, with Kevin Titman lucky not to be involved.

A two-lap dash to the chequered flag is all that remained, with Andrew Scheuerle again leading the field to the green. Remarkably, there were still eighteen cars running and the final two laps were set to be the most intense of the entire 30-lap journey. Scheuerle was absolutely untouchable out in front, but it was the battles unfolding behind him that captivated the crowd. Jayden Peacock started looking on the inside of Mitchell Gee as the pair fought over the final two podium positions, while Allan Woods challenged Brent Kratzmann for fourth and Kevin Titman and Bryan Mann stepped up the pressure in their battle for the minor places. With less than half a lap left to run Peacock made his move. It was bold, diving underneath Gee as they rounded turn three for the final time, but it was perfectly timed, with Peacock securing the advantage as they navigated turn four and, with only the length of the main straight left to run there was little Gee could do to regain his position. Allan Woods also had a last lap charge, attempting a brave outside pass on Brent Kratzmann as the pair raced out of turn four and across the line. Contact between the pair and the wall could have so easily ended in disaster for both drivers, however both drivers managed to secure top five finishes. Andrew Scheuerle got the win ahead of Jayden Peacock and Mitchell Gee, with Brent Kratzmann hanging on to fourth by a tiny 0.012 seconds. Allan Woods rounded out the top five and led Kevin Titman, Bryan Mann, Mick Sauer, Cody Maroske, Andrew Corbet, Brodie Tulloch, Darren Jensen, Peter Lack, Dave Whell, Kristy Bonsey, Scott Genrich, Ben Hilder and Andrew Marks across the line. Stewart Craig was the only driver who did not finish the event.

Sprintcars Queensland will return to Ausdeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway next Saturday night, 10 March 2018, for another round of the East Coast Logistics Sprintcar Series. With last nights results, the double points that were on offer, and the absence of Luke Oldfield, the series points chase is only just starting to heat up. We still have another double points night yet to be held, and plenty of racing still to come, so the championship is far from over. Come on out to Archerfield Speedway next Saturday night and join us for another night of Sprintcar racing action!


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
4/5 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
5/5 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
11/5 Archerfield Speedway
25/5 Archerfield Speedway
8/6 Maryborough Speedway
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis