Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt - Australian Sprintcar Title - Night 2
Joanne White posted Monday January 28, 2019.

Last night Queenslander Andrew Scheuerle got the biggest win of his twenty-five year racing career when he raced the across line and was first past the chequered flag in the 57th Australian Sprintcar Title, which was proudly sponsored by BK Trading Australia. Scheuerle, fittingly driving the Ausdeck Group and Castrol Edge Q25 racer, got the win at Ausdeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway in Brisbane, in front of a massive crowd at an event sponsored by his good friend Brent Kratzmann and on a night when his own almost six-year old son sang the National Anthem at the beginning of the night. It was a near perfect weekend for Scheuerle and the entire Ausdeck team, with Scheuerle taking the lead of the main race at around the half way point before racing his way into the history books. It is only the second time a Queenslander has won an Australian Sprintcar Title, with the only other Queenslander on the winners list being Todd Wanless back in 1996. Scheuerle was exquisite on track, less conservative than when he has series points on the line, and the always immaculately presented Q25 racer was set up beautifully thanks to crew chief Justin White and the Ausdeck Racing crew. James McFadden managed to hang on to finish second in the main race despite a damaged front wing, while Jamie Veal finished third to round out the podium. David Murcott crossed the line in fourth, a solid drive from eleventh on the grid, while Ian Madsen completed the top five.

Before the finals though we had another five heat race events to run. Heat eleven of the weekend started with Garry Brazier and Max Dumesny from the front row with Michael Saller and Lachlan McHugh right behind. Brazier got the jump and secured the lead when the lights went green, with Dumesny settling into second as McHugh raced around the top side of Saller to move into third. McHugh swiftly slipped underneath Dumesny as they approached turn three before setting about trying to chase down Brazier, while Peter Lack had a massive look on the inside of Robbie Farr mid-field, only to surrender a position to Ben Atkinson. Lack tried to fight back on the inside of Atkinson, while Saller made his way into third on the low side of Dumesny. Lack continued to search for a way back past Atkinson while at the front of the field McHugh caught Brazier as they approached the back markers and began searching for a way into the lead. Garry Brazier went on to take the win ahead of Lachlan McHugh and Michael Saller, while Robbie Farr managed to get the better of Max Dumesny late in the race to take fourth. Ben Atkinson finished fifth ahead of Peter Lack, while Max Dumesny faded to seventh after a small error in the final couple of laps of the race cost him several positions. Andrew Corbet, Anthony Vanderreyden and Jason King rounded out the finishers while Sam Walsh failed to finish the twelve-lap journey.

Daniel Sayre and Mark Pholi led the field to the green for the start of heat twelve, with Pholi getting his nose in front for a moment before Sayre came back on the bottom to take control of the race as they rounded turn two. Pholi got a little too high as they started down the back straight for the first time, allowing Matt Dumesny to slip through on the bottom, and while Dumesny set out after Sayre, Pholi was left with Brooke Tatnell on his tail. Jamie Veal searched the high line for a way past Brayden Willmington and Brock Dean, while Steve Greer, Nathan Black and Brodie Tulloch raced three abreast through turn four. Veal got the better of both Willmington and Dean and set out after Pholi, soon making his way underneath the Q14 racer as they rounded turn one, while Dean and Willmington argued over the minor places. Daniel Sayre got the win, withstanding late race pressure from Matt Dumesny, Brooke Tatnell and Jamie Veal once the leaders entered lapped traffic. Matt Dumesny finished second while Brooke Tatnell held off a hard-charging Jamie Veal to snare third. Veal crossed the line in fourth and led Mark Pholi, Brock Dean, Brayden Willmington, Brodie Tulloch, Nathan Black, Karl Hoffmans and Steve Greer across the line.

Heat thirteen saw Ryan McNamara and Ben Hilder share the front row with Jessie Attard and Randy Morgan from the second row. McNamara secured the lead when the green flag flew, with Hilder settling into second and Morgan and Attard remaining two abreast as they negotiated over third. With Morgan on the top side and Attard on the bottom the pair raced either side of Hilder as they rounded turn three and while Hilder fought back on the inside of turn four it was Morgan who emerged in front and set out after McNamara leaving Hilder and Attard to fight over third and fourth. Morgan was relentless on the top side, challenging McNamara for the lead, while McNamara ran a faultless race and refused to surrender control, the pair of young guns putting on a truly captivating show while still giving each other just enough racing room. The race was soon brought under caution though when Nathan McFarlane came to a stop exiting turn four, with McNamara and Morgan to led the field to the restart with ten laps still to run. While Morgan and McNamara picked up right where they left off, Andrew Scheuerle had begun to make his way through the field and was searching for a way past Attard, looking first on the high side before switching to the bottom and sliding beautifully underneath the N53 racer as they exited turn four. Scheuerle made it look easy as he raced underneath Hilder half a lap later and set his sights on Morgan and McNamara our in front. The leaders were magnificent to watch, both showing immense race craft and proving that we certainly have some exceptionally talented young men coming up in the sport, however, nothing rivals youthful exuberance like experience and determination. Scheuerle spent just a few laps closing in on the leading duo before racing underneath Morgan as they rounding turn one and then turned his attention to McNamara, chasing the Q88 racer for a few laps before getting through on the bottom as they rounded turn three just a couple of laps from home. Andrew Scheuerle got the win ahead of Ryan McNamara and Randy Morgan, with Jessie Attard across the line fourth. Ian Madsen finished fifth and led Jack Lee, Jye O'Keefe, Ben Hilder, Dave Whell and Adam Butler home, while Nathan McFarlane did not finish the event.

Heat fourteen started with Brent Aprile from pole position and Jordyn Brazier sharing the front row. Aprile secured the lead when the green flag flew and while Brazier challenged on the bottom as they rounded turn two, it was Aprile who led them down the back straight. David Murcott got around Danny Reidy in turn two, with Reidy then fading a little further as James McFadden came through on the bottom. The race was however promptly brought to a stop when Kerry Madsen got a little sideways entering turn four, completely spinning the car after contact with Marcus Dumesny, and while the rest of the field tried to take evasive action Brenden Rallings was left with nowhere to go, making heavy contact with the W2 racer, which tipped the defending Australian Champion on his side. It was a delicate operation to untangle the cars and while both drivers walked away, neither were able to restart the race, the incident having a significant impact on the rest of the Championship chase. A full restart followed and while the leading duo raced side-by-side into the first corner, it was again Aprile who led them through turn two. Brazier fought back on the bottom as they headed down the back straight, securing the lead as they approached turn three, while Danny Reidy and David Murcott fought over third. Murcott got around Reidy before switching to the low side to get underneath Aprile less than half a lap later, only for Aprile to fire straight back to regain the advantage. Murcott moved back in front when Aprile ran a fraction too wide in turn two, with Reidy also getting through, while at the rear of the field Kevin Britten and Mitch Gowland had a great battle for the minor positions. James McFadden made his way forward, displacing Aprile and turning his attention to Reidy, spending just a couple of laps catching the #5 racer. McFadden and Reidy traded places back and forth several times but out in front there was no stopping Jordyn Brazier as he raced to victory ahead of David Murcott. James McFadden crossed the line in third and led Danny Reidy, Brent Aprile, Marcus Dumesny, Allan Woods, Kevin Britten and Mitch Gowland across the line. Brenden Rallings and Kerry Madsen did not finish the event.

Heat fifteen was an action-packed affair that started with Brent Kratzmann and Jock Goodyer from the front row. Kratzmann led the way first time around and while Goodyer challenged hard on the high side chaos unfolded behind them as contact between Phill Foster and Tony Wynne sent Wynne up track and into the path of Dan Murray. Contact between Murray and Wynne saw both cars get considerable air as they crashed into the turn two wall, bringing the race to a stop. Both drivers walked away but were unable to continue the event. A full restart followed but was quickly aborted, while third time around saw Kratzmann lead the field into turn one, only for Goodyer to race through on the bottom and steal the lead as they entered turn two. Kratzmann fought back on the inside of Goodyer as they raced down the back straight, but contact between them left Goodyer with a damaged front end and heading down track in front of the remaining field. Everyone took evasive action but a luckless Kevin Titman had nowhere to go and made heavy contact with the infield tyre in turn three. Neither Goodyer nor Titman were able to continue the race. Another full restart followed, with just five of the original ten starters taking the green and Darren Jensen now alongside Kratzmann on the front row. Kratzmann secured the lead when the green flag flew and while Jensen challenged for control for a few laps, there was little he could do to get past and Kratzmann soon pulled away. Luke Oldfield spent a few laps chasing Jensen before slipping underneath the Q75 racer and turning his focus to Kratzmann, catching the Q2 racer in lapped traffic but was unable to find a way past. Brent Kratzmann went on to take the win ahead of Luke Oldfield and Darren Jensen, with Mitchell Gee and Phill Foster the only others to greet the chequered flag. Kevin Titman, Steven Lines, Jock Goodyer, Dan Murray and Tony Wynne all failed to finish the event.

A misunderstanding resulted in the D-Main being re-run, with Dave Whell and Kevin Britten leading the eight-car field to the green. Whell got the jump on the initial start, but the race was quickly brought under caution with officials warning Whell about going too early. Second time around it was Whell who secured the lead, but it was short lived as Nathan Black spun to a stop in turn three. Whell led the restart from Britten and Adam Butler and while Karl Hoffmans and Nathan McFarlane negotiated over positions towards the rear of the field, Butler challenged Britten for second, getting underneath the Q34 racer and beginning to challenge Whell for the lead when the race was brought to another stop, this time for Anthony Vanderreyden who had turned the Q72 racer around in turn three. Whell led the restart from Butler and Britten while Hoffmans and McFarlane resumed their battle for the minor places. Vanderreyden again brought the race to a stop, this time stopping on the track in turn three, the front end torn from the Q72 racer. Whell led the restart and quickly opened a very comfortable margin while Butler came under pressure from Britten as they fought over the last transfer position and a chance to start at the back of the C-Main. Britten was relentless on the top, challenging Butler for second, and while Butler fought back hard on the bottom in a thrilling climax to the D-Main, there was little he could do. Dave Whell got the win with Kevin Britten home in second and Adam Butler third. Nathan McFarlane finished fourth ahead of Karl Hoffmans and Jason King, while Nathan Black rounded out the finishers. Anthony Vanderreyden did not finish the event.

The C-Main contenders rolled onto the track for the fifteen-lap affair with Mitchell Gee and Jack Lee to lead them to the green. The first start was aborted, with Gee blamed for a false start, but it was Gee who again secured the advantage second time around. Lee settled into second while Allan Woods raced underneath both Brayden Willmington and Marcus Dumesny as they headed towards the first corner. Lee challenged hard on the low side of Gee but the current Queensland Champion refused to surrender the lead, sailing back around the high line to maintain control of the race. Unfortunately the race was soon brought to a stop when contact between Dave Whell and Kevin Britten ended with Whell inverting the Q4 racer in spectacular fashion in turn two. Whell was unscathed in the incident but his weekend of racing was over. Gee led the restart from Lee and Woods and while Woods started looking for a way underneath Lee, Marcus Dumesny started looking for a way past the inside of Woods. Woods got underneath Lee, getting his nose a fraction in front, only for Lee to race back around the top side half a lap later and regain second. Woods was far from done though and continued to challenge Lee for second, the pair racing two-wide for a number of laps before Lee again emerged in front. Lee caught Gee when the leader made a mistake in turn four, the pair quickly exchanging positions back and forth several times before Steve Greer spun to a stop in turn two and brought the field under caution with three laps to run. Gee led the restart from Lee, while Marcus Dumesny had displaced Woods from third. Dumesny set about finding a way past Lee while Woods defended his position from a late race challenge from Jye O'Keefe. Mitchell Gee got the win with Marcus Dumesny finishing second ahead of Jack Lee and Allan Woods. Jye O'Keefe finished fifth and led Brayden Willmington, Mitch Gowland, Andrew Corbet, Ben Atkinson, Kevin Britten, Steve Greer and Phill Foster across the line. Brodie Tulloch, Dave Whell and Dan Murray did not finish the event while Sam Walsh did not start the race.

Eighteen cars lined up for the B-Main with Jessie Attard and Kevin Titman to lead them to the green for the twenty-lap affair. Titman secured the lead early but surrendered control to Attard as they raced out of turn two but chaos unfolded mid field when several cars came together, resulting in Mark Pholi getting some serious air in a frightening flip into turn three. Pholi lost a front wheel early in the flip, which became lodged underneath the front end of Allan Woods as Woods and the rest of the field tried to avoid the still airborne Pholi, and while Woods was able to restart the event, Pholi was out of contention. Pholi did walk away from the wreck but is reportedly a little sore and bruised today. A full restart followed with Titman and Attard racing side-by-side into the first corner and remaining two abreast for the entire first lap until Attard managed to secure the advantage. Garry Brazier challenged Brent Kratzmann for mid field position but the race was soon brought under caution when Brent Aprile spun the NQ42 racer in turn four. Attard and Titman led the restart from Michael Saller and Jordyn Brazier, with Jordyn Brazier looking to get around Saller when the race resumed, just as Saller had a look on the inside of Titman. Saller moved ahead of Titman, leaving Titman with Jordyn Brazier on his tail, while Kratzmann tried to find a way around Ben Hilder, only to surrender a position to Garry Brazier. It took Garry Brazier just half a lap to get around Hilder and set about closing in on the back of his son. Jordyn Brazier was relentlessly searching for a way past Kevin Titman, but Titman denied him every time and soon opened a small lead over the pair of Braziers. With the laps ticking away Garry Brazier raced around Jordyn Brazier and into fourth before seeming to slow a little on the final lap, with the father-son combination racing side-by-side out of the final corner and towards the chequered flag. Unfortunately for the Brazier duo they left the bottom of the track open just wide enough coming out the final corner for Ben Hilder to slip through on the bottom and steal the fourth and final transfer to main race. Jessie Attard got the win with Michael Saller second ahead of Kevin Titman and Ben Hilder, while Jordyn Brazier finished fifth and would act as first reserve for the main event if one was needed. Garry Brazier finished sixth and crossed the line ahead of Jack Lee, Mitchell Gee, Brent Kratzmann, Allan Woods, Marcus Dumesny, Ryan McNamara, Brent Aprile, Brock Dean and Jock Goodyer. Max Dumesny, Daniel Sayre and Mark Pholi all failed to finish the event.

Twenty drivers hit the track for the forty-lap journey that was the 2019 Australian Sprintcar Title. Forty long, and busy, laps left to determine who our new Australian Champion would be. Defending Champion Kerry Madsen was starting back in fifteenth and had a huge job ahead of him, while Robbie Farr and Queensland gun Andrew Scheuerle shared the front row ahead of former Champions Brooke Tatnell and James McFadden. Two of the best in Queensland, Luke Oldfield and Lachlan McHugh, shared the third row of the grid while Jamie Veal and Ian Madsen, both who are long over due for an Australian Title win started from the fourth row. Farr got the jump when the lights went green while McFadden quickly made his way underneath Scheuerle and into second before beginning to challenge Farr for the lead, just half a lap into the race. As the leading pair made their way out of the final corner of the first lap McFadden, on the bottom, pulled ahead of Farr and took control of the race, while Jamie Veal had made his way into fourth in just three quarters of a lap. Oldfield and McHugh were running the high line looking for a way forward, while Veal caught Scheuerle and started looking for a way underneath the Q25 racer. Scheuerle fought back on the high side, finding incredible momentum in the Q25 racer, not only maintaining the advantage on Veal but, just half a lap later racing through underneath Farr and into second. Oldfield sat in fifth but was challenging Veal for fourth but the race was quickly brought under caution when Peter Lack spun to a stop in turn three.

James McFadden led the restart with thirty-six laps left to run, with Robbie Farr elevated back to second position as a lap had not been completed since Andrew Scheuerle relegated him to third. It was an interesting restart to say the least, with McFadden and Farr making contact before passing the cone, the right rear of McFadden climbing over the left front of Farr. Farr raced underneath McFadden as they rounded turn one, with further contact between the two almost stealing the show, while Andrew Scheuerle raced magnificently around the top side of both Farr and McFadden to move into the race lead. Luke Oldfield got around Jamie Veal in turn two and was looking to race straight between Farr and McFadden in turn three, but when Farr made heavy contact with the tractor tyre on the inside edge of turn three his race was very prematurely brought to an end. Kevin Titman, who is currently enduring a seemingly endless run of bad luck, also ended up turned around, though the Q59 racer was able to restart the event from the rear of the field.

With a lap not completed since Andrew Scheuerle took control of the race he took to the restart from position two, with James McFadden leading them back underway. When the race resumed Jamie Veal started challenging Scheuerle for second, but the seasoned Queenslander was unwilling to surrender, leaving Veal to defend his position from a hard-charging Luke Oldfield. Lachlan McHugh and Brooke Tatnell negotiated over the positions behind them, trading places back and forth a number of times, as David Murcott began to quietly make his way forward. McHugh got back past Tatnell and left Tatnell to defend his position from Murcott, while Oldfield ran just about as high as you can on the Brisbane track in an effort to find a way around Veal. Kerry Madsen began making his way forward, having a great battle with little brother Ian, the pair putting family pleasantries aside with every brother for himself in the Title chase. Kerry got the better of Ian and began searching high and low for a way past Tatnell, while Ian fought back on the high side, getting around his older brother as they made their way through turn four and turning his attention to Tatnell. McFadden had a healthy lead but that lead quickly dissipated as he begun to navigate lapped traffic. Scheuerle and Veal closed in quickly and Scheuerle had his sights set firmly on the race lead, searching the high line for a couple of laps before making it look easy as he switched to the bottom to race underneath McFadden as they rounded turns three and four, taking the lead around halfway through the race, much to the delight of the huge crowd on the hill and those in the pits. Scheuerle had everyone captivated and while McFadden searched high and low for a way back in front, it only took Scheuerle a couple of laps to open a small but very comfortable margin. Scheuerle patiently worked his way through lapped traffic while behind him McFadden, Veal and Murcott stayed closed enough that they would capitalise should Scheuerle make a mistake, but there really was little they could do as Scheuerle raced closer to the chequered flag and the biggest win of his twenty-five year career. Veal challenged McFadden for second as the laps wore away but they had nothing for Andrew Scheuerle as he took the win in the BK Trading Australia 2019 Australian Sprintcar Championship. James McFadden crossed the line in second with Jamie Veal in third to round out the podium. David Murcott finished fourth ahead of Ian Madsen while Steven Lines finished sixth and Queensland young gun Lachlan McHugh in seventh. Kerry Madsen managed to finish eighth after a tough weekend for the defending Champion, and led Brooke Tatnell and Matt Dumesny across the line. Jessie Attard, Danny Reidy, Darren Jensen, Randy Morgan, Luke Oldfield, Kevin Titman, Michael Saller and Ben Hilder rounded out the finishers, while Robbie Farr and Peter Lack, who both exited the race with just four laps completed, were the only casualties.

Congratulations to Andrew Scheuerle, his family, crew, team owners and sponsors on a well-deserved and hard-fought win. What a monumental effort by all involved. We cannot wait to see the Q25 racer adorned with the A1.

Thank you to all the drivers who competed with us this weekend, from near and from far, all the teams, family, crews, sponsors and supporters who have made this weekend what it was. Thank you to John and Kathy Kelly and all the officials and volunteers behind the scenes for a truly incredible weekend of Sprintcar racing and the long and tireless hours that have been put in behind the scenes.

Still there is no rest for the dedicated Sprintcar team or fan, and in less than one week we will be back on track once more. This coming Saturday night (02 February 2019) will see Sprintcars Queensland return to Hi-Tec Oils Speedway in Toowoomba for our first meeting of 2019 with the running of the $10,000 to win Mayor's Cup and another round of USC Sprintcars. See you trackside in Toowoomba!


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
28/9 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
12/10 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
23/11 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
7/12 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
5/1 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
22/2 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
28/3 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
10/4 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
12/4 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
9/5 Hi-Tec Oils Speedway Toowoomba
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis


    No Nominations