Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt - ECL Series - Round 10
Joanne White posted Sunday January 26, 2020.

Brent Kratzmann got a long awaited and hard-fought win at Ausdeck Patios Archerfield Speedway last night in Round Ten of the East Coast Logistics Sprintcar Series, having taken control of the race when then leader Aaron Kelly got caught up in an incident with a lapped car and was relegated to rear of the field. Kratzmann was virtually unstoppable out in front, and sailed to victory in the immaculately presented Q2 racer, while the battle for second raged fiercely behind them. Adam Butler and Allan Woods had a thrilling battle for the minor podium results, the pair exchanging positions several times as the laps wore on, with Allan Woods eventually securing the advantage and coming home in second. Adam Butler, who has truly been in incredible form this season, crossed the line in third to round out the podium, while a chaotic final lap saw Callum Walker snare fourth with Mitch Gowland rounding out the top five.

Qualifying yielded some interesting results, with the three fastest cars all coming from the final qualifying group. Brent Kratzmann had set the benchmark early, only for Dan Murray to end up the quickest of the lot, with Murray stopping the clock at 12.191 seconds. Brodie Tulloch was second quickest in the qualifying session, his 12.293 second lap enough to shift Karl Hoffmans (12.327) back to third. Kratzmann (12. 438) ended up fourth overall while Mitch Gowland completed the fastest five.

The Petsyo Development Series joined us again last night, with Ron Hendrickson and Libby Ellis leading the small field to green light conditions for heat one. Hendrickson got his nose in front on the start but Ellis raced around the high side as they rounded the first turn and secured the lead in the NQ73 racer. Ellis led for several laps, with both Hendrickson and Geoff Davey on her tail, until the power steering broke onboard the NQ73 racer and forced Ellis to the infield and out of the race. Ron Hendrickson inherited the race lead and went on to take the win head of Geoff Davey and Erin Vanderreyden. Libby Ellis did not finish the event, while mechanical woes plagued the NQ69 racer of Jason King, with King pulling out of the event before it even started.

Aaron Kelly and Anthony Lambert led the field to green light conditions for the start of the first Open Sprintcar heat event of the evening, with Kelly getting the jump and securing the lead before they rounded the first corner. Lambert settled into second while Adam Butler and Tim Farrell argued over third as Brent Kratzmann began searching for a way forward. Kratzmann quickly displaced Mitch Gowland and turned his attention to Farrell, taking the Q2 racer to the high side and holding nothing back as he raced around the Q51 racer with only a lap and a half completed. Kratzmann got around Butler half a lap later, before switching to the bottom and racing underneath Lambert with less than three circulations complete. Kratzmann set about closing in on race leader Kelly, closing the margin with each passing lap, while further back in the field Nelson Reddacliff and Dan Murray had a fierce battle for minor positions. Kratzmann caught Kelly with a few laps left to run, challenging relentlessly on the high side but could not quite get close enough to steal the lead. Aaron Kelly went on to take the win ahead of Brent Kratzmann and Anthony Lambert, with Adam Butler home in fourth and leading Tim Farrell, Mitch Gowland, Nelson Reddacliff, Dan Murray and Peter Campbell across the line.

Heat two was supposed to see Luke Dougherty start from pole position with Callum Walker alongside and Kristy Bonsey and Allan Woods sharing the second row. Dougherty did not make the start, elevating Bonsey to pole position, and while Bonsey led the way into the first turn, Walker powered around the high line and into the race lead before they exited turn two. Bonsey fought back, staying right on the tail of Walker as they started to open a small lead over the rest of the field, while Allan Woods, Bryan Mann and Karl Hoffmans negotiated over third. Mann and Woods closed in on Bonsey in lapped traffic, while Brodie Tulloch and Karl Hoffmans fought over mid-field positions. Callum Walker went on to take the win ahead of Kristy Bonsey and Bryan Mann, while Allan Woods crossed the line in fourth ahead of Brodie Tulloch, Karl Hoffmans, Sean Rose, Scott Genrich and Nicholas Whell.

The second of the Development Series heats hit the track, but without Jason King, who was enduring insurmountable mechanical woes, and Libby Ellis, who had on-going power-steering issues, leaving just three cars to take the green. Erin Vanderreyden started from pole position with Geoff Davey alongside and Ron Hendrickson behind them. Vanderreyden got her nose in front when the lights went green, but was no match for Davey on the high line, the NQ74 racer powering around the top side and into lead before opening a comfortable margin on the others. Vanderreyden managed to defend her position from Hendrickson for another lap before Hendrickson moved into second and set out after Davey. Geoff Davey went on to take the win ahead of Ron Hendrickson and Erin Vanderreyden, with both Libby Ellis and Jason King failing to start the race.

The third of the Open Sprintcar heat events hit the track with Anthony Lambert from pole position and Aaron Kelly alongside. Lambert got the better start and quickly secured the race lead, leaving Kelly in second, while Kristy Bonsey got the better of Callum Walker to secure third and set out after Kelly. Walker faded as Bryan Mann and Brent Kratzmann came through, with Kratzmann soon challenging Mann for fourth. Mann and Kratzmann were all over the back of Bonsey, both searching for a way through, while Bonsey did a remarkable job to keep both at bay. Mann was relentless on the top-side, challenging hard as Bonsey closed on Kelly and began searching for a way past the Q7 racer. Mann eventually got underneath Bonsey as they rounded turn four, but got too high half a lap later and clipped the wall, inverting the Q16 racer as he exited turn two. Mann walked away disappointed but unscathed. Lambert led the restart from Kelly, Bonsey and Kratzmann with just four laps left to run. While Kratzmann briefly challenged Bonsey, and Karl Hoffmans tried to find a way underneath Kratzmann, there was no stopping Lambert out in front. Anthony Lambert went on to take the win ahead of Aaron Kelly and Kristy Bonsey, with Brent Kratzmann home in fourth and leading Karl Hoffmans, Callum Walker, Scott Genrich and Sean Rose across the line. Bryan Mann did not finish the event.

The final heat event of the night saw Nelson Reddacliff and Adam Butler share the front row for the start with Reddacliff getting the jump first time around to secure the race lead. Butler settled into second but Allan Woods got a little too sideways in turn two, forcing those behind him to take evasive action and leaving both Dan Murray and Mitch Gowland stranded in turn two. A full restart followed with Butler this time securing the advantage, only for officials to bring the race under caution and relegate Butler to the second row for the restart deeming him to have jumped the start. Reddacliff and Woods led them to the green for the third attempt at getting the race underway and while they raced side-by-side into turn one, it was Woods who emerged in front and secured the lead. Reddacliff settled into second but immediately came under enormous pressure from both Butler and Tim Farrell, only for the race to quickly be brought back under caution for the spun car of Peter Campbell in turn two. A fourth full restart followed, with Reddacliff and Woods again leading the field to green light conditions. Woods secured the lead while Reddacliff held down second and defended his position from Butler and Farrell. Farrell worked the low line beautifully, racing underneath both Butler and Reddacliff in quick succession before turning his attention to Woods and the race lead. Reddacliff, with a broken front wing, faded as Butler and Brodie Tulloch came through, the duo racing around the high side of Reddacliff before closing in on Farrell. Nicholas Whell closed on Reddacliff, the pair exchanging places back and fourth a few times as they negotiated over mid-field positions, while closer to the front Farrell challenged Butler for second. Allan Woods went on to take the win ahead of Adam Butler and Tim Farrell, with Brodie Tulloch home in fourth and leading Nicholas Whell, Dan Murray, Nelson Reddacliff, Peter Campbell and Mitch Gowland across the line.

Aaron Kelly secured the quickest time in the Bronze Shootout, his 12.380 second lap enough to secure his spot in the Silver Shootout. Adam Butler managed to snare the second and final transfer position, stopping the clock at 12.672 seconds, leaving Dan Murray and Kristy Bonsey in third and fourth respectively and eliminated from the shootout events.

Allan Woods and Karl Hoffmans joined Aaron Kelly and Adam Butler on track for the Silver Shootout, with Aaron Kelly again taking the top spot, stopping the clock at 12.346 seconds. Allan Woods was second quickest and would transfer to the Gold Shootout with Kelly, while Karl Hoffmans and Adam Butler rounded out the Silver Shootout contenders.

Brent Kratzmann and Brodie Tulloch joined Aaron Kelly and Allan Woods on track for the Gold Shootout, with Allan Woods earning pole position for the main event. Woods stopped the clock at 12.463 seconds, with Brodie Tulloch (12.475) set to share the front row for the feature event. Aaron Kelly (12.498) took out third in the Gold Shootout ahead of Brent Kratzmann (12.574).

Eight cars hit the track for the B-main event, with Sean Rose and Scott Genrich to lead them to the green flag. Rose managed to get his nose in front as the green flag flew, but Genrich was too quick on the top side and raced into the lead before they made their way through turn one. Rose settled into second ahead of Peter Campbell and Nicholas Whell, but chaos unfolded behind them with Ron Hendrickson and Geoff Davey coming together on the back straight. Hendrickson bounced wildly while Davey inverted the NQ74 racer in truly spectacular fashion, tearing the main wing from the car. Both drivers walked away but were unable to continue the race. A full restart followed, with Genrich again securing the lead with a brilliant run on the high line, leaving Rose in second ahead of Whell and Erin Vanderreyden. Vanderreyden sat in the final transfer position but soon came under immense pressure from both Libby Ellis and Peter Campbell, the trio soon racing three-wide through three as Ellis raced around the outside and Campbell dove underneath. Ellis emerged in front and while Campbell got the better of Vanderreyden, he promptly spun the #22 racer in turn four, lifting the front wheels off the ground, before pirouetting almost elegantly on the tip of his tail tank and landing up-side-down. Campbell was unscathed but unable to continue the race. Genrich led the restart from Rose and Whell, with Ellis now holding down the fourth and final transfer position. Whell challenged Rose, persisting on the bottom before eventually slipping into second as they rounded turn two, but it was Scott Genrich who got the win in the Q18 racer and secured his spot in the A-Main event. Nicholas Whell finished second ahead of Sean Rose, with Libby Ellis fourth past the chequered flag to earn her place in the main event. Erin Vanderreyden rounded out the B-Main finishers, while Peter Campbell, Geoff Davey and Ron Hendrickson all failed to finish the event.

The A-Main was an action-packed affair that saw several leaders and even more stoppages. Allan Woods and Brodie Tulloch led the eighteen-car field to green light conditions with Tulloch on the high side quickly securing the race lead. Woods settled into second while Brent Kratzmann briefly held third until Aaron Kelly charged through on the bottom to relegate Kratzmann to fourth. Adam Butler began challenging Kratzmann for position, while further back in the field Kristy Bonsey was having a close battle with Tim Farrell, and Dan Murray and Mitch Gowland fought over mid-field positions. The race though was soon brought to a stop when Bryan Mann spun to a stop in turn three.

Brodie Tulloch led the restart from Allan Woods, Aaron Kelly, Brent Kratzmann and Adam Butler, and while Kelly challenged Woods for second, the Q7 racer getting underneath Woods just one lap into the restart, Kristy Bonsey and Tim Farrell resumed their battle while also trying to find a way past Butler. Kratzmann got underneath Woods, with Butler following half a lap later, and while Kratzmann started to close on Kelly, Kelly was all over the back of Tulloch. Kelly had a massive look on the inside of Tulloch as they rounded turn two but could not quite get the job done, the Q7 racer then switching to the high side to get around Tulloch and take control of the race. Tulloch immediately found Kratzmann on his tail, the Q2 racer making his way underneath Tulloch just a couple of laps later and moving into second with his sights set on the lead. Kristy Bonsey brought the race under caution when she got into the turn three fence, with Callum Walker also caught up, and while Walker was able to restart the event, Bonsey retired to the infield.

Aaron Kelly led the restart from Brent Kratzmann, Adam Butler and Brodie Tulloch, with Allan Woods back in fifth with twenty laps still to run. Butler briefly challenged Kratzmann for second, but Kratzmann had his sights set on the race lead, while behind them Woods started looking for a way past Tulloch and, much deeper in the field, Bryan Mann began making his way forward after his earlier spin. Kratzmann had a massive but unsuccessful look underneath Kelly as they rounded turn four before Kelly opened a small lead, while behind them Tulloch clouted the wall a couple of times, allowing both Woods and Tim Farrell through. Nelson Reddacliff got too high in turn three, making contact with the wall before inverting the Q85 racer right in front of the leaders as he was about to go a lap down. Everyone took evasive action and managed to avoid contact with the up-turned Reddacliff, however Kelly spun to a stop in his effort to avoid the carnage, surrendering his race lead and being relegated to the rear of the field for the restart. Kratzmann, who narrowly avoided contact with the stranded #85 racer, inherited the race lead with fifteen laps to run.

Brent Kratzmann led the restart from Adam Butler and Allan Woods, with Tim Farrell and Brodie Tulloch close behind. Butler tried to challenge Kratzmann for control of the race when they returned to green light conditions, but Kratzmann was not prepared to surrender the lead, the Q2 racer not only denying Butler a way through but quickly opening a small margin on his rivals, leaving Butler to defend his position from a very hard-charging and determined Woods. Aaron Kelly spun the Q7 racer at the tail of the field soon after the restart, bringing the race back under caution.

With fourteen laps still to run Brent Kratzmann again led the restart from Adam Butler and Allan Woods, with Kratzmann this time immediately opened a margin of several car lengths on his rivals, leaving Butler and Woods to negotiate over second. Brodie Tulloch and Tim Farrell exchanged positions back and forth several times, before Tulloch collected the fence once more, this time doing enough damage to the Q74 racer to see him slow to a stop in turn three and bring the race back under caution.

Brent Kratzmann led them back to the green flag for the restart with Adam Butler and Allan Woods still on his tail. Kratzmann again immediately opened a comfortable lead while Woods challenged Butler for second, racing up the inside of the Q10 racer only for Butler to return the favour a lap later. Bryan Mann had worked his way up to an impressive sixth, while Anthony Lambert, Dan Murray and Callum Walker raced closely mid-field. Another caution, this time for the spun car of Scott Genrich coming out of turn four, left us with a four-lap dash to the chequered flag.

Brent Kratzmann led the restart and was absolutely unstoppable out in front, while Allan Woods managed to get underneath Adam Butler with just a couple of laps left to run. Bryan Mann managed to displace Mitch Gowland and set out after Tim Farrell, while Callum Walker made his way past both Anthony Lambert and Gowland. Gowland fought back, running the low line and regained his position from Walker, the pair racing side-by-side as they negotiated over minor positions. Brent Kratzmann raced to a long overdue victory in front of the large Archerfield Speedway crowd, while Allan Woods secured second and Adam Butler rounded out the podium in third. Callum Walker crossed the line in fourth with Mitch Gowland completing the top five ahead of Anthony Lambert, Tim Farrell, Aaron Kelly, Dan Murray, Scott Genrich, Libby Ellis and Bryan Mann. Nicholas Whell, Sean Rose, Brodie Tulloch, Nelson Reddacliff, Kristy Bonsey and Karl Hoffmans all failed to finish the event.

Sprintcars Queensland will head back to Ausdeck Patios Archerfield Speedway on Saturday 15 February 2020 for another round of the East Coast Logistics Sprintcar Series. Will Brent Kratzmann get back-to-back victories? Can Aaron Kelly get his first Open Sprintcar round win? Will Adam Butler beat them all to the chequered flag? Just who will stand atop the podium next time? Come and join us trackside at Ausdeck Patios Archerfield Speedway and see all the action unfold… See you trackside race fans….

Q2 Brent Kratzmann


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
6/2 Archerfield Speedway
13/2 Archerfield Speedway
27/2 Archerfield Speedway
20/3 Archerfield Speedway
3/4 Archerfield Speedway
17/4 Archerfield Speedway
1/5 Archerfield Speedway
22/5 Archerfield Speedway
29/5 Archerfield Speedway
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis